Friday, June 8, 2012
Friday, June 1, 2012
Math – We did our end of year test this week, which is not part of the cumulative grade. That therefore concludes both 5th and 6th grade math.
Science – Our brine shrimp hatching failed miserably with the shrimp dying off right away. This was a great learning opportunity for us as we then discussed what went wrong and how our hypotheses could not be proven or disproven. Students also started their biome presentations this week and quickly realized that teaching others is harder than it looks. I loved the self-reflection the students did and also the thought that had gone into all of their assessment and research.
Social Studies – Students presented their extension projects and I read through all of their reports. It was very interesting for us to see who people had chosen to research, as well as what they did for an extension project. There was a huge spread in quality of projects, which made the kids think about how hard they should push themselves when guidelines are looser.
Reading – We finished our read aloud this week and the library committee has been busy inventorying and cleaning up our library. This is also a great time to sweep through your house to check for any stray classroom books or library books. Please send them in ASAP.
Writing – We have been busy writing thank you letters as well as letters to my incoming students. The final blogging challenge is due this Sunday as students are writing a letter to me from the future. I am deeply touched by their words and the sharing of their dreams; please take a moment to read your child’s blog.
*Field trip is this Wednesday starting at 8:30 and we will be gone all day. Your child should bring swim wear and a towel for the afternoon’s swimming.
* Yearbook signing will happen this afternoon.
* Graduation information goes home today in Friday envelope.
* Please take the year end parent survey found either on our website or sent to you in an email. This is a tremendous way for me to become a better teacher and I thank you in advance for your honesty and time.
* Both babies are over 3 pounds each and the doctor’s are very happy with everything. We are in the less than 9 weeks to go countdown and I promised the students I will post pictures on our website when they arrive.
* We get to have a popsicle party with our buddies on Monday. We have done so many fun things with them and the students have been such great role models.
* Report cards will be sent home with students on Thursday. I will be meeting with students next week to discuss end of year grades as well as see what their summer learning plan is.
* I have some dates for you to put on your calendars: Lock Out Wednesday, June 6th, 5th grade graduation Friday, June 8th 1:30 PM.