Math – We are almost done with unit 8 with only a couple of more lessons to go before the test which now has landed on Thursday, March 8th. The next unit is back to area, perimeter and such.
Social Studies – Starting next week we will be switching classes again but this time only 3 times a week. We are doing very well with what needs to be covered and I know I would love to get that extra time to dig in with the students on the projects we have going. To say that I am impressed with the work they have been doing on their slavery projects is an understatement. Next week we will rehearse our presentations and then we start presenting toward the end of the week.
Reading – The authors of Jump Ship have us hooked with their cliffhanger endings and we have discovered tools of writing they have used to weave in the historical context of the period. We will be exploring the Constitutional Convention in social studies as well after spring break.
Writing –We have started our superhero unit and have discussed the origin story of superheroes – always involve tragedy – as well as what superpowers can be. Students are developing their superheroes right now and next up is the supervillian! You know you are on to something with the students when they don’t want to go at the end of the day.
Science – We started our assessment with the kids understanding why we had worked all that time on flashcards. They told me it was much easier to do the assessment with the help of their notes and cards. We start our challenge on Monday.
Special Notes –
*Just a reminder that conferences are student led, so please bring your child! They are all very excited to share their successes and goals with you. Conferences will be 15 minutes long but if you need more time we can schedule a follow up.
* What a great literacy week! We read a lot of books and it was great to see all of the kids dressed up for book character day, pictures of all of them can be found on our website.
* Report cards will be going home some time in the week of conferences. Grades are determined through conversation and review of work/progress.
* We will be headed to a performance of Stuart Little at the Overture Center on March 22nd. Our very own Sophia Ba is performing in the play and we cannot wait to show our support. Our amazing PTO is covering the cost of the field trip so just send back the permission slip.
* I run the West Middleton talent show along with Ms. Bodell and auditions will be coming up sooner than you think, so if your child is thinking of participating please have them start practicing and figuring out their talent.
* Monday is absolute last day for either Read to Succeed (free Six Flags ticket) or Doodle for Google submissions.
* Thank you for all of the book orders placed, they will be submitted later today.
* We didn’t place in the Box Tops contest but I still am owed a pie in the face from last time; I am sure it will happen soon.
* I have some dates for you to put on your calendars: 2nd Trimester ends March 6th, Third Trimester begins March 7th, PAC Choral Performance Monday, March 12th at 6:30 PM, Stuart Little Thursday, March 22nd 9:15 AM to 12:15 PM, Mrs. Johnston is subbing for me all day March 23rd, Spring Break starts after Friday March 23rd and goes to April 1st, Sub from 1 PM on Tuesday, April 3rd, No school Friday, April 6th, PTO Bowling Saturday, April 14th.