Thank you for all of your condolences at the death of my grandfather. The kids were spectacular as well and every day is a new day. He was a great man and will be greatly missed.
Math – We are almost done with unit 5, my favorite unit, and will have the test on Wednesday. If your child will be absent please let me know so that they can take the test before the break. We will also celebrate the end of the unit with a pizza lunch on Wednesday. Please send in $3 with your child to cover lunch. The next unit is about collecting and processing data.
Science – We are finishing up mixtures and solutions with discussion of concentration as well as trying to get the vocabulary straight. There will not be a test but rather a check-in with tools to see how much the students remember.
Social Studies – I continue to be impressed by the students’ ingenuity, enthusiasm and ideas for further exploration. In my social studies class we have discussed Pocahontas Facts vs. Disney as well as had the students decide on a mini-project. To say I am impressed with their ideas is an understatement; an English settlement created in Minecraft, an Animoto presentation on their journey, various foods, and presentations all concocted by the students.
Reading – Yahara continues to dominate but we are checking in with our Harry Potter. Also, this is a new trimester which means we start book talks again after break with the students needing to read at least 1,000 pages.
Writing – The Yahara final drafts are due to me on Friday January 6th. Some students are closer to finishing than others; please help them with their editing. I am teaching them only to rely on spell check as a tool not as the only way to check their spelling!
Special Notes –
* We are working hard in 5th grade and I love seeing how the kids are banding together to form their community. I have the best job in the world and it is because of these kids!
* Winter party will take place Wednesday, December 21st at 1:00 PM. It does not look like there will be any snow for sledding so we will just hang out instead in our classroom.
* There will be no homework over break, I hope the students will blog and read but that is it. This is their chance to gear up for the second half of 5th grade.
* Congratulations to all of our students in the spelling bee. I heard it was quite the intense spell off.
* We have pen pals from London now. Mrs. Clarke contacted me and wondered if we would write back and forth; the kids seem to love the connection. Matthew is also using our blog to stay in touch; he left a long post detailing his new school.
* Thea is actively pointing at every single toy she sees and asking Santa to get it for her. We love the holidays and cannot wait to see her face on Christmas.
* I have some dates for you to put on your calendars: Winter Party is December 21st at 1 PM, winter break is from December 22nd through January 2nd, New math groups and social studies groups Tuesday, January 3rd, Yahara final versions are due to me Friday, January 6th, Geography Bee Friday, January 13th at 8:40 AM, No school Monday, January 16th and Monday, January 23rd, and WM PTO meeting Thursday, January 19th 7 PM.